Tapering off t3

Topic created · 24 Posts · 2400 Views
  • I’ve been using T3 at just 25mcg a day for 4 weeks now and I want to come off of it next week. Would there be any need to taper off at this dose or could I stop cold turkey? Also would there be any kind of rebound after coming off this dose?

• [quote=“DonaldPump” pid=‘60751’ dateline=‘1563071252’]
    I’ve been using T3 at just 25mcg a day for 4 weeks now and I want to come off of it next week. Would there be any need to taper off at this dose or could I stop cold turkey? Also would there be any kind of rebound after coming off this dose?
    [/quote]

Subscribing. I’m on a much higher dose and also need to come off.

What I read mostly is that the best way is to not taper, just quit cold Turkey. Because as long as you take exogenous t3, your thyroid won’t recover and get back to normal. At your level, unsure of rebound but usually yes, metabolism decreases until it recovers.

• [quote=“DonaldPump” pid=‘60751’ dateline=‘1563071252’]
    I’ve been using T3 at just 25mcg a day for 4 weeks now and I want to come off of it next week. Would there be any need to taper off at this dose or could I stop cold turkey? Also would there be any kind of rebound after coming off this dose?
    [/quote]

https://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/topic/247418-nwos-t3-faq/

The thyroid doesn’t work like the HPTA. Your natural production goes down at a rate equal to the proportion of exogenous T3 you are taking. So, if your natural thyroid production is the equivalent of 50mcg, and you are taking 25mcg, your natural thyroid production is ~50%. If your natural production is 50mcg and you are taking 50mcg or higher, your natural production is completely stopped. There is a section on that webpage I would suggest you read.

TL:DR - You should take 12.5mg for 2-3 weeks then stop. You could also stop cold turkey, but 12.5mg for 2-3 weeks would reduce rebound effect. Yes, there will be a rebound effect until your thyroid is fully running again.

• Following. Thanks for the question. About to start T3

• [quote=“DNPstoney” pid=‘60756’ dateline=‘1563075092’]
    [quote=“DonaldPump” pid=‘60751’ dateline=‘1563071252’]
    [/quote]

https://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/topic/247418-nwos-t3-faq/

The thyroid doesn’t work like the HPTA. Your natural production goes down at a rate equal to the proportion of exogenous T3 you are taking. So, if your natural thyroid production is the equivalent of 50mcg, and you are taking 25mcg, your natural thyroid production is ~50%. If your natural production is 50mcg and you are taking 50mcg or higher, your natural production is completely stopped. There is a section on that webpage I would suggest you read.

TL:DR - You should take 12.5mg for 2-3 weeks then stop. You could also stop cold turkey, but 12.5mg for 2-3 weeks would reduce rebound effect. Yes, there will be a rebound effect until your thyroid is fully running again.
    [/quote]

Great read thank you bro

• Donald bro, you were never taking enough T3 for the thyroid gainz in the first place.

TAPER UP not taper down LOL

• I took 75 for four weeks then just stopped cold turkey after reading the body will recover fastest that way instead of tapering. I felt a bit lethargic for about a week if anything.

• Thanks for the reply my bros, no matter how long I’m in this game I always like getting different peoples insights on stuff like this

• [quote=“DonaldPump” pid=‘60817’ dateline=‘1563130529’]
    Thanks for the reply my bros, no matter how long I’m in this game I always like getting different peoples insights on stuff like this
    [/quote]

That is why we are here man!

Tbh, most of the stuff in this world is going to be bro-science. Some of it is based on more fact than others, but pretty much all of it is broscience.

They don’t do studies on how bodybuilders Thyroids recover after running high dosages of exogenous T3 lol. The best you can hope for is other peoples’ experiences, mixed with extrapolations of information from data that we have available to us and our understanding of certain physiological processes.

AFAIK, pretty much all the studies we have and use are done on populations that are significantly different than us; post-menopausal women, people with actual hormone deficiencies, animal testing, etc.

• 25mcg is probably not even a full replacement dose (unless you are really small). You are probably best off just dropping it cold assuming you don’t have any underlying thyroid issues (you’ll feel shitty for 2-3 days, should be 100% recovered within a week max). You can taper at your dose, but all it will do is extend the time to recover normal function, and probably not even make the lethargy that much better. IMO 50mcg+ should always be tapered.

• Different opinions in here. I was thinking 12.5 mg for like 3 days then 6.25 for two days then off. The way o understand it is that running t3 at low levels will allow your thyroid to keep working in conjunction with the small dose. I like the idea of running it at just 12.5 for 2-3 weeks as suggested above too. Just want to get off as fast as possible since I’m trying to have nothing in my system for a few months before my prep. I also want to stay lean that’s why I’m hesitant to drop it cold turkey even of it’s just 25mcg, but if the literature suggests that there will be no rebound from that then I’m open to that too

• [quote=“DonaldPump” pid=‘61120’ dateline=‘1563313224’]
    Different opinions in here. I was thinking 12.5 mg for like 3 days then 6.25 for two days then off. The way o understand it is that running t3 at low levels will allow your thyroid to keep working in conjunction with the small dose. I like the idea of running it at just 12.5 for 2-3 weeks as suggested above too. Just want to get off as fast as possible since I’m trying to have nothing in my system for a few months before my prep. I also want to stay lean that’s why I’m hesitant to drop it cold turkey even of it’s just 25mcg, but if the literature suggests that there will be no rebound from that then I’m open to that too
    [/quote]

IIRC, exogenous T3’s halflife is ~72 hours. So changing up your dosages for a few days isn’t going to do too much.

Drop to 12.5mg/day for 2 weeks then quit. Your thyroid will restart during these 2 weeks, and you will have less of a rebound effect (time your thyroid takes to start working fully).

If you want to go as fast as possible, you can just quit now. But you will have to deal with your thyroid restarting from nothing, while also having no exogenous T3 in your system, so the rebound effect will be larger.

Either way, your thyroid should be fully running ~2 weeks after stopping exogenous T3 supplementation. It is just a question of whether you want to start from ~50% thyroid production of ~0% thyroid production. Starting from ~50% is obviously the safer choice if you can swing the time extension.

• [quote=“DNPstoney” pid=‘61137’ dateline=‘1563317991’]
    [quote=“DonaldPump” pid=‘61120’ dateline=‘1563313224’]
    Different opinions in here. I was thinking 12.5 mg for like 3 days then 6.25 for two days then off. The way o understand it is that running t3 at low levels will allow your thyroid to keep working in conjunction with the small dose. I like the idea of running it at just 12.5 for 2-3 weeks as suggested above too. Just want to get off as fast as possible since I’m trying to have nothing in my system for a few months before my prep. I also want to stay lean that’s why I’m hesitant to drop it cold turkey even of it’s just 25mcg, but if the literature suggests that there will be no rebound from that then I’m open to that too
    [/quote]

IIRC, exogenous T3’s halflife is ~72 hours. So changing up your dosages for a few days isn’t going to do too much.

Drop to 12.5mg/day for 2 weeks then quit. Your thyroid will restart during these 2 weeks, and you will have less of a rebound effect (time your thyroid takes to start working fully).

If you want to go as fast as possible, you can just quit now. But you will have to deal with your thyroid restarting from nothing, while also having no exogenous T3 in your system, so the rebound effect will be larger.

Either way, your thyroid should be fully running ~2 weeks after stopping exogenous T3 supplementation. It is just a question of whether you want to start from ~50% thyroid production of ~0% thyroid production. Starting from ~50% is obviously the safer choice if you can swing the time extension.
    [/quote]

Good point brotha, thank you. Would you also recommend dropping down to 6.25mcg after that or would that not be necessary?

• [quote=“DonaldPump” pid=‘61144’ dateline=‘1563320935’]
    [quote=“DNPstoney” pid=‘61137’ dateline=‘1563317991’]
    [quote=“DonaldPump” pid=‘61120’ dateline=‘1563313224’]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Good point brotha, thank you. Would you also recommend dropping down to 6.25mcg after that or would that not be necessary?
    [/quote]

You could, but I wouldn’t consider it necessary. And I definitely wouldn’t do it if time is a major factor, like you stated.

• So strange… I’ve been on 25mcg for literally a year and a half, decided to run it with my GH. Now I’m only on 2iu/day of GH so I’m going to drop the T3… I was taking 12.5mcg twice a day and just two days ago I cut it in half and have been taking 6mcg twice a day. I guess I’m curious as to whether 25mcg was even beneficial at all after being on it that long. My assumption was that the T3 helps your body respond better to the gear (I don’t know where the fuck I heard that) is there any truth to this?

• [quote=“Primobro” pid=‘61173’ dateline=‘1563331073’]
    So strange… I’ve been on 25mcg for literally a year and a half, decided to run it with my GH. Now I’m only on 2iu/day of GH so I’m going to drop the T3… I was taking 12.5mcg twice a day and just two days ago I cut it in half and have been taking 6mcg twice a day. I guess I’m curious as to whether 25mcg was even beneficial at all after being on it that long. My assumption was that the T3 helps your body respond better to the gear (I don’t know where the fuck I heard that) is there any truth to this?
    [/quote]

I think the GH makes your body respond better to the gear and the T3 will help you assimilate your protien better. That’s the understanding I have at least. So there is a good synergy there. But who knows lol we are all our own guinea pigs

• i have been on 75 mcgs/day and get my bloods this week, will be posting soon. im curious how shut down my thyroid is.

• [quote=“Riskrunner” pid=‘62738’ dateline=‘1564332882’]
    i have been on 75 mcgs/day and get my bloods this week, will be posting soon. im curious how shut down my thyroid is.
    [/quote]

please post. how long did you run the 75mcgs? and how soon after are you running bloods? Did you stop cold turkey?

i ran 50mcgs for at least 6+ weeks and maybe tapered to 25mcg for a week or 10 days. Ran bloods like 2 months or 6 weeks after and was in natural range.

I think the whole “ruining youy thyroid” thing is overstated

• [quote=“Riskrunner” pid=‘62738’ dateline=‘1564332882’]
    i have been on 75 mcgs/day and get my bloods this week, will be posting soon. im curious how shut down my thyroid is.
    [/quote]

I ran 150mcg, tsh was 0.006 and t4 was 0.5 which are almost nonexistent. And yeah, the thyroid is hard to completely kill. Thinking 75mcg might shut you down quite a bit.

• [quote=“unclecurley” pid=‘62776’ dateline=‘1564347480’]
    [quote=“Riskrunner” pid=‘62738’ dateline=‘1564332882’]
    [/quote]

please post. how long did you run the 75mcgs? and how soon after are you running bloods? Did you stop cold turkey?

i ran 50mcgs for at least 6+ weeks and maybe tapered to 25mcg for a week or 10 days. Ran bloods like 2 months or 6 weeks after and was in natural range.

I think the whole “ruining youy thyroid” thing is overstated
    [/quote]

Here are the bloods, i was running 75 mcgs/day for the last 4 weeks.The test was done last week. Plan on stopping cold turkey on friday.

https://imgur.com/a/FWYAmjh