Ketogenic Diet

Topic created · 27 Posts · 1839 Views
  • Does anyone have experience with gear and a keto diet?? I cut my carbs out almost 3 weeks ago. First week was a nightmare. Could barely get myself to the gym. Second week a little better. Third week pretty much back to normal routine. My question is what kind of gear were you using?? And did it help with the diet? My goal is to still eat a calorie surplus while burning fat as my fuel source. Still would like to continue to gain size. I was on a high carb diet. And dove right into keto. How about pre workout foods?? I workout 4 am before work so I can be home with the kids after work since my wife works late. Any tips of the trade will help. Thanks.

• why? carbs are essential to building muscle. Use keto for a cut if you must. What kind of surplus are you eating? A caloric surplus of fat? And you’re using gear. Why?

The war on carbs is silly unless you’re fat and sedentary.

• keto is for obese diabetics, epileptics and may be beneficial for those suffering from MS and a few other diseases. It’s suboptimal for all sports but especially bodybuilding. I’ve been down this rabbit hole within nutritional science too many times however, so eat whichever diet you like best and works for you in terms of results. not everyone needs or desires their life/progress optimized.

• I lost 60+ lbs on it.

The ONLY benefit is that it makes the diet very simple to follow. Just “No carbs”. It’s not easy but it is simple. You lose weight only because you tend to eat fewer calories (more satiating food and honestly it’s hard to find stuff to eat/snack on).

If you want to gain muscle then it’s not the best. I went off low carb to bulk and then found cutting is easier if you just count calories and jack protein up to 1g/1lb.

• I’m really bad with keeping a good diet. Unless I do this super restrictive diet like this. I want to cut some fat out. I’ve dropped some water weight and gotten much tighter and vascular. I’m really bad around my kids snacks. A cookie here. Cupcake there and bam I’m In the jackpot again. So eating extremely low carbs helps someone like me stay on target. Just personal preference. Wasn’t asking for a debate about it. Just asking if anyone has any experience. But I appreciate the responses.

• The Navy is currently testing the keto diet with Navy Seals because of the increased athletic performance. So it’s not just for fat slobs as others here have said.

• They’re testing it with Navy seals because there’s some evidence that it makes you need to breathe less often.

That doesn’t really mean “increased athletic performance.”

• [quote=“nlite2k” pid=‘60078’ dateline=‘1562639824’]
    They’re testing it with Navy seals because there’s some evidence that it makes you need to breathe less often.

[/quote]

I’m currently breathing at a rate of once per day.

• [quote=“Jbhulk58” pid=‘60140’ dateline=‘1562694120’]
    [quote=“nlite2k” pid=‘60078’ dateline=‘1562639824’]
    They’re testing it with Navy seals because there’s some evidence that it makes you need to breathe less often.

[/quote]

I’m currently breathing at a rate of once per day.
    [/quote]

The magic of ketosis!

BRB, going to the supermarket to get those really sad 0 carb noodles.

• [quote=“Akula” pid=‘60040’ dateline=‘1562626496’]
    The Navy is currently testing the keto diet with Navy Seals because of the increased athletic performance. So it’s not just for fat slobs as others here have said.
    [/quote]

please don’t cherrypick and misrepresent information unless you genuinely didn’t understand the source. make sure to read the studies, not just news articles or its headlines.

• I’m a big fan, but I use it for neurological reasons. I did see lipids improve on keto as well; but wouldnt be as dedicated to it if it didnt have a neurological reason.

• [quote=“appropionate” pid=‘60214’ dateline=‘1562734428’]
    [quote=“Akula” pid=‘60040’ dateline=‘1562626496’]
    The Navy is currently testing the keto diet with Navy Seals because of the increased athletic performance. So it’s not just for fat slobs as others here have said.
    [/quote]

please don’t cherrypick and misrepresent information unless you genuinely didn’t understand the source. make sure to read the studies, not just news articles or its headlines.
    [/quote]

Lol I think that may be a problem but not exactly with me. The DOD is studying althetic performance that includes being able to hold their breath longer but news outlets concentrated on that. But the fact still remains the same even with your “tip”.
    [hr]

[/quote]

Actually using oxygen more effeciently is the basis for athletic performance. But that’s not the only aspect the DOD is looking into. It’s also not just SEALs, shit it’s not even just special forces.

• [quote=“Akula” pid=‘60234’ dateline=‘1562769038’]
    [quote=“appropionate” pid=‘60214’ dateline=‘1562734428’]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Lol I think that may be a problem but not exactly with me. The DOD is studying althetic performance that includes being able to hold their breath longer but news outlets concentrated on that. But the fact still remains the same even with your “tip”.
    [hr]

[/quote]

Actually using oxygen more effeciently is the basis for athletic performance. But that’s not the only aspect the DOD is looking into. It’s also not just SEALs, shit it’s not even just special forces.
    [/quote]

Efficiency isn’t the athletic performance most here are looking for.

They are looking at acute power output (efficacy), which Keto is sub-optimal for, as pretty much every study has ever shown.

• [quote=“Jbhulk58” pid=‘59690’ dateline=‘1562262301’]
    I’m really bad with keeping a good diet. Unless I do this super restrictive diet like this. I want to cut some fat out. I’ve dropped some water weight and gotten much tighter and vascular. I’m really bad around my kids snacks. A cookie here. Cupcake there and bam I’m In the jackpot again. So eating extremely low carbs helps someone like me stay on target. Just personal preference. Wasn’t asking for a debate about it. Just asking if anyone has any experience. But I appreciate the responses.
    [/quote]

@“Jbhulk58”

Maybe what you’re looking for is the Anabolic or Metabolic Diet from Dr. Mauro Pasquale. He’s a retired powerlifter who came up with this diet that is similar to what you’re describing. Hight protein and fat, very low carb with a high caloric surplus.

I gave it a shot for a while years ago, and despite what others are saying, I had great results with it. At the time, I was training to compete in a few small powerlift and strongman meets locally. My cycles only consisted of Test Cyp, EQ and anavar.

While on the diet paired with cycles of only test, eq and var and using a 5/3/1 variant training program, my strength absolutely went through the roof. Its was hard for me to believe that a 700+ pound deadlift was possible on an extremely low carb diet, but it is.

I think it’s important for guys to mess around and figure out what works best for them. There’s even a handful of powerlifters that compete and eat a vegan diet, which seems absolutely impossible… but it’s working for them.

• [quote=“DNPstoney” pid=‘60268’ dateline=‘1562780022’]
    [quote=“Akula” pid=‘60234’ dateline=‘1562769038’]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[hr]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They are looking at acute power output (efficacy), which Keto is sub-optimal for, as pretty much every study has ever shown.
    [/quote]

Well now there is a position that can be debated, but up until now, the only counter was that “keto was for fatties”. Which is an ultral lazy low hanging fruit argument.

There are studies that keto can improve lifts, but just about every study has shown it is suboptimal for muscle size gains. But more than on par with muscle preservation. So yes not optimal for what most here want, but useful if used correctly.

• [quote=“Akula” pid=‘60320’ dateline=‘1562807707’]
    [quote=“DNPstoney” pid=‘60268’ dateline=‘1562780022’]
    [quote=“Akula” pid=‘60234’ dateline=‘1562769038’]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[hr]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well now there is a position that can be debated, but up until now, the only counter was that “keto was for fatties”. Which is an ultral lazy low hanging fruit argument.

There are studies that keto can improve lifts, but just about every study has shown it is suboptimal for muscle size gains. But more than on par with muscle preservation. So yes not optimal for what most here want, but useful if used correctly.
    [/quote]

Yeah, I was not saying that stuff before, nor was I disputing that Keto works as an effective diet in a fat loss/muscle retention capacity. There are also numerous other uses for Keto, but people here have the main goal of adding on muscle mass, and studies have shown it has not been as effective in this regard. Also, there are a ton of anecdotes about struggling to add mass in the gym when on Keto; but of course, these are anecdotes.

One other thing that I would throw in to the mix that would further complicate it is the guys around here that are using insulin, which would be a very very bad idea if you are in ketosis. Then you throw in a few other compounds where many users complain of going hypo (like Sdrol) and I would say it is just a bad idea for many gear users in most situations.

• define mass.

mass = water??

last month i tried the carnivore diet for autoimmune reasons, when i added carbs back in i looked bigger than ever even teared my labrum, is this because i got “full of muscle mass”??

studies show that carbs dont increase LBM gain over protein alone, calorically equated

• [quote=“shotmaniac” pid=‘60465’ dateline=‘1562891013’]
    define mass.

mass = water??

last month i tried the carnivore diet for autoimmune reasons, when i added carbs back in i looked bigger than ever even teared my labrum, is this because i got “full of muscle mass”??

studies show that carbs dont increase LBM gain over protein alone, calorically equated
    [/quote]

Lol glad you brought this up. Since there are no good studies on this, it gets dismissed faster than you can say hive mind broscience. I know when I am low carb, I don’t hold water even with the wetter compound blasts. Sure you are gonna look bigger if those carbs are opening the flood Gates of liquid pump into your muscles, but is that what we really want? I’m in my 50s and I want lbm over just size for size sake.

• Interestingly - there is a study that shows gluconeogenesis actually ends up with roughly equal muscle glycogen in well fat adapted individuals (several months)

On mobile now but I’ll track it down later. It is super interesting and mirrors my own experience

• [quote=“warplain” pid=‘60604’ dateline=‘1562972905’]
    Interestingly - there is a study that shows gluconeogenesis actually ends up with roughly equal muscle glycogen in well fat adapted individuals (several months)

On mobile now but I’ll track it down later. It is super interesting and mirrors my own experience
    [/quote]

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0026049515003340

I got you.