Anybody here ever served in the army?

Topic created · 46 Posts · 8087 Views
  • Currently unemployed and thinking about enlisting. Looking for experiences about what its like and if you liked it, thoughts etc. Also how to gear while there and what not. Thanks guys.

• I was active duty Infantry for 3 years. I liked it. If you like being active day to day and working out you will like it.

Edit: and yes, people use gear.

• It was great until the war started to calm down then all the boring garrison bs made it annoying as fuck. Great training, amazing brotherhood but you’re going to be dealing with some retarded leadership and bureaucracy more likely than not

• I was in and I miss being with my old unit every day but there’s so much politically correct bullshit now. Units are so soft now and so scared of offending someone. Uniform standards, hair standards, grooming standards, etc. are all going downhill because if you correct someone and they take offense to it all they have to do is complain. The leadership is also toxic af.

Why don’t you look in to trade school? Become a carpenter, plumber, electrician, machinist, etc? All very well paying jobs.

• 6 years army with deployments. Got out 2011. It is not a lifestyle for family, nor one for AAS. Between the runs every other day, PT,training and deployments, rucks, possibly living in the barracks with a roomate, there is not enough available opsec right off the bat.

If you were combat arms MOS, you prob wouldnt be able to safely (not get caught) run a cycle for a year or two. You could do Air Force and maybe have some semblance of a civilian life and be able to run AAS.

It is the easiest job in the world, just show up on time in the right uniform and do what youre supposed to. The conflicts are winding down, but deployments are a reality. Having your friends die is not for the weak. YMMV

• Why specifically Army compared to other branches? Do you have a specific MOS in mind?

Like the other poster said, Air Force would be closest to a civilian life, and if you live off base you should be able to cycle fine.

• [quote=“ryantheco” pid=‘11699’ dateline=‘1525571654’]
    Why specifically Army compared to other branches? Do you have a specific MOS in mind?

Like the other poster said, Air Force would be closest to a civilian life, and if you live off base you should be able to cycle fine.
    [/quote]

Im not sure i always like the army cuz it seems harder than air force but easier than marines i guess. I would go to be a medic or something along those lines. I could probably get in the air force tho.

• [quote=“Peepeeassnigga” pid=‘11740’ dateline=‘1525606273’]
    [quote=“ryantheco” pid=‘11699’ dateline=‘1525571654’]
    Why specifically Army compared to other branches? Do you have a specific MOS in mind?

[/quote]

Im not sure i always like the army cuz it seems harder than air force but easier than marines i guess. I would go to be a medic or something along those lines. I could probably get in the air force tho.
    [/quote]

Fuck that. Go be a 03XX Devildog

• [quote=“devildolphin” pid=‘11742’ dateline=‘1525612212’]
    [quote=“Peepeeassnigga” pid=‘11740’ dateline=‘1525606273’]
    [quote=“ryantheco” pid=‘11699’ dateline=‘1525571654’]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fuck that. Go be a 03XX Devildog
    [/quote]
    Haha i like ur style…

• [quote=“Stayheavy” pid=‘11668’ dateline=‘1525558371’]
    It was great until the war started to calm down then all the boring garrison bs made it annoying as fuck. Great training, amazing brotherhood but you’re going to be dealing with some retarded leadership and bureaucracy more likely than not
    [/quote]

SPOT ON, Garrison life is fucking waaaack… But it depends on what you want… you want a ‘job’ and to be able to cycle, go get a desk job in the Air Force (not knocking it, just saying), you want to learn a skill that you can transfer to the civilian world, there a couple options - most likely Air Force or NAVY, you want to shoot motherfuckers in the face Army / Marine Infantry, Scout (no homo), Marine Recon etc… but your chances currently are dwindling, shit used to be a damn gaurantee… It just depends on what you want man and remember, your recruiter is a retard that has no idea what he/she is talking about (this may or may not be true, just be skeptical and do your own research)… ask more questions if ya got em

• [quote=“timmyxxx187” pid=‘11756’ dateline=‘1525619017’]
    [quote=“Stayheavy” pid=‘11668’ dateline=‘1525558371’]
    It was great until the war started to calm down then all the boring garrison bs made it annoying as fuck. Great training, amazing brotherhood but you’re going to be dealing with some retarded leadership and bureaucracy more likely than not
    [/quote]

SPOT ON, Garrison life is fucking waaaack… But it depends on what you want… you want a ‘job’ and to be able to cycle, go get a desk job in the Air Force (not knocking it, just saying), you want to learn a skill that you can transfer to the civilian world, there a couple options - most likely Air Force or NAVY, you want to shoot motherfuckers in the face Army / Marine Infantry, Scout (no homo), Marine Recon etc… but your chances currently are dwindling, shit used to be a damn gaurantee… It just depends on what you want man and remember, your recruiter is a retard that has no idea what he/she is talking about (this may or may not be true, just be skeptical and do your own research)… ask more questions if ya got em
    [/quote]
    Dang that sucks. Garrison life i mean. Yea i was looKing for a skill that would translate to the real world. Theres really nothing in the army that would translate? Fuccck. Maybe ill try to hit up a trade school or something.

• Former 15t, ended up a crewchief in a medevac unit. Hooah

• [quote=“Randysavagewheww” pid=‘11761’ dateline=‘1525620372’]
    Former 15t, ended up a crewchief in a medevac unit. Hooah
    [/quote]

Did u like it. How long were u in. How did u do when u got out?

• 68w for 5 years- was a good time during deployment since it was still hot but towards the end of my contract i said fuck it all due to how insanely shit garrison ͏Li͏f͏e was.

• [quote=“Peepeeassnigga” pid=‘11760’ dateline=‘1525620155’]
    [quote=“timmyxxx187” pid=‘11756’ dateline=‘1525619017’]
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    Dang that sucks. Garrison life i mean. Yea i was looKing for a skill that would translate to the real world. Theres really nothing in the army that would translate? Fuccck. Maybe ill try to hit up a trade school or something.
    [/quote]

I mean there are some things, like driving a fuckin fork lift lol… if you 68W route, you get your EMT-B (not really worth shit in the real world) and you can go to school afterwards and work your way up to EMT-I (if thats still a thing) and then Paramedic… maybe some computer MOS… from what Ive seen the Air Force and NAVY especially have more skills training and a better reintegration to the real world program… A Trade program is a smart move man, Electricians, Plumbers, HVAC guys can make fucking bank

• [quote=“timmyxxx187” pid=‘11788’ dateline=‘1525629065’]
    [quote=“Peepeeassnigga” pid=‘11760’ dateline=‘1525620155’]
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

I mean there are some things, like driving a fuckin fork lift lol… if you 68W route, you get your EMT-B (not really worth shit in the real world) and you can go to school afterwards and work your way up to EMT-I (if thats still a thing) and then Paramedic… maybe some computer MOS… from what Ive seen the Air Force and NAVY especially have more skills training and a better reintegration to the real world program… A Trade program is a smart move man, Electricians, Plumbers, HVAC guys can make fucking bank
    [/quote]

fuck even going to school to become a lineman pays great, 12k a month if you do everything right

• [quote=“dianabolman” pid=‘11790’ dateline=‘1525630008’]
    [quote=“timmyxxx187” pid=‘11788’ dateline=‘1525629065’]
    [quote=“Peepeeassnigga” pid=‘11760’ dateline=‘1525620155’]
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

fuck even going to school to become a lineman pays great, 12k a month if you do everything right
    [/quote]
    Sheitttttt ima look that up

• If you’re gonna enlist then go the USMC route. Wanna know what ARMY standa for!? Aint Ready to be a Marine Yet…jk. Military life isn’t for everyone. Lots of time spent away from family, friends and loved ones. I was in the Marine Corps during the first Gulf War. I did 4 years and got out. My marriage failed because I was gone for most of the 4 years…1 year in Japan, 2 years spent being bounced around from duty station to duty station, and close to a year trying to kill Saddam Hussein. You have to be mentally strong/stable if you intend on going into the service. Being physically strong helps but even if you’re not trust me you will be when they get through with you. The Marines made a man out of me. I was in boot camp 2 months after graduating high school. I literally went in as a young kid and came out a man. The pay isn’t too bad either especially if you go in already having a college degree. Long story short, I wouldn’t trade it for anything, even that immature bitch that couldn’t wait for me while I was away. It is an experience that I will cherish and obviously remember for the rest of my life. Hoo Raa!!![quote=“Septicanon” pid=‘9169’ dateline=‘1524420860’]
    [quote=“dianabolman” pid=‘9167’ dateline=‘1524420600’]
    [quote=“Septicanon” pid=‘9164’ dateline=‘1524420070’]
    Just to confirm the website were talking about is supertropin.eu?
    [/quote]

No that’s not who I ordered It through, I mean It could be the same, but you should just make your way over to BoP forum make an account find the supertropin forum, as the squid guy to pm you for the details, I dont Want to get into to much because I’m not sure of the rules about talking ab other sources, but they have great bloods
    [/quote]

Hm will they trust me with one post? Also I have a feeling they will ship from US as BoP is lostly US people.no?
    [/quote]

• Any 18x on here what the share what it was like?

• [quote=“SouthernCompounding” pid=‘11888’ dateline=‘1525700142’]
    [quote=“Randysavagewheww” pid=‘11761’ dateline=‘1525620372’]
    Former 15t, ended up a crewchief in a medevac unit. Hooah
    [/quote]

Best route to go right here. Look into your local area and see if there is a federal or state run aviation facility. Aviation is cake and the bull shit is minimal if almost non-existent. You learn a ton of skills and with some studying, can be used to earn your A&P certification. From there you can go and get a job working with fixed or rotary wing aircraft.

Duty station options for 15 series are pretty slim right now. Most are winding up at Wainwright, Carson, Drum [fuck that shit], Korea, Germany, or Hood.
    [/quote]
    You the man southern