Powerlifting

Topic created · 8 Posts · 117 Views
  • Wanted to get into power lifting. Any good programs to run? Was checking out Christian Thibadeaux’s article in Tnation about a modified Bulgarian strength training program. Any comments would be appreciated.

• @Jtdaniels123 said in Powerlifting:

get into power lifting. Any good programs to run? Was checking out Christian Thibadeaux’s article in Tnation about a modified Bulgarian strength training program. Any comments would be appreciated.

so where to start is going to depend on how advanced of a lifter you are. if your a beginner/intermediate id run any cookie cutter powerlifting program out there; starting strength, 5/3/1, juggernaut. and stick with the program until you stop progressing. im a fan of westside conjugate and cube, so if your a more advanced lifter thats where i would start.

• @Jtdaniels123 what’s your bodyweight and s/b/d, bro?

• Get on /fit/ and hop into PLG and ask for help and also post stats there and body. Safer place for overall general discussion just ignore the obvious shitposting retards and non-lifters that spam gay shit.

• @dudebro73 said in Powerlifting:

@Jtdaniels123 what’s your bodyweight and s/b/d, bro?

1. Hard to say as I rarely do 1rm due to no spotter. I’d say my bench is probably 265 1rm give or take. 365 for squat and 405 dead.

I usually bench 225 6-8 reps clean
    Squat 315 7 reps clean
    I’ve gotten 415 on my dead about 2 weeks ago… tried again two days ago and only got 75% of the way up before my hands slipped

As a note I have a cut tendon on my right ring finger which stays slightly bent so my grip is trash.

• @monkey585

Definitely not an advanced lifter. I would assume moderate. Started late in the game as I’m almost 33 with two years lifting experience.

• As a beginner I would run any linear program
    Or something that prioritizes hypertrophy
    Look into Swede Burns’ 5th set , 5/3/1 as others have mentioned
    I have no experience with JTS or any of chad Wesley smiths programs so I can’t comment on those

I personally prefer conjugate over anything else
    And believe you can structure it to work for a beginner with ease
    “If” I had a client that was a beginner and was going to program conjugate I would probably leave out a good bit of the specialty bar use
    And keep accommodating resistance to a reasonable amount - if any

In addition to that I would swap dynamic effort work for rep effort work- think 5x5 as a minimum
    (I’ve gone as high as 10x5)

• @Jtdaniels123 Can’t go wrong with the 5 3 1. There are different variations of it too so you can switch it up. I made the switch to powerlifting back in March and I don’t plan on ever going back to anything else. Chasing PRs is addictive and fun .