Amphetamines for contest prep / cutting

Topic created · 21 Posts · 418 Views
  • I recently found out an old friend of mine (who is an ifbb pro) uses adderall for his last 4-5 weeks of prep for the appetite suppression and extra energy.

Is this a common thing in competitive bodybuilders? I’ve used adderall a few times in the past and remember it did destroy my appetite. I could see it being really good for cutting down but was just curious what other peoeples thoughts are

• [quote=“SHWAndy” pid=‘99332’ dateline=‘1601489719’]
    I recently found out an old friend of mine (who is an ifbb pro) uses adderall for his last 4-5 weeks of prep for the appetite suppression and extra energy.

Is this a common thing in competitive bodybuilders? I’ve used adderall a few times in the past and remember it did destroy my appetite. I could see it being really good for cutting down but was just curious what other peoeples thoughts are
    [/quote]

Most bodybuilders and competitors have a gains over health mindset so there is a lot of substance abuse that goes along with that in general. I would say 100% of bodybuilders abuse some sort of stimulant the last 4-5 weeks of prep, whether that be legal or illegal. Adderall is up there for sure bro

• Personally I would stay far away from adderal! But that’s just my opinion! Thy shot is basically the same thing has meth! All the compounds are pretty close! Obviously you probably already know that! And adderall can lead to addiction! That’s my two cents!

• Modafinil is also very commonly used. I think it is asking for trouble though, given all the other pharmacology Pros are using, wonder how many get strokes n shit. But those last weeks before the show must be really hard, they still train their ass off, they add a shitload of cardio on top of it, they starve themselves and are constantly hungry, no wonder they are using stims and amphetamines to stay on track.

I think I would not be able to do it with all the stims in the world lol

• [quote=“juicyfatpowerlifter” pid=‘99370’ dateline=‘1601546062’]
    Modafinil is also very commonly used. I think it is asking for trouble though, given all the other pharmacology Pros are using, wonder how many get strokes n shit. But those last weeks before the show must be really hard, they still train their ass off, they add a shitload of cardio on top of it, they starve themselves and are constantly hungry, no wonder they are using stims and amphetamines to stay on track.

[/quote]

Beyond nootropics like Modafinil/Armodafinil and an ECA stack lies a slippery slope into ADHD meds and straight up amphetamines, which come with severe consequences and withdrawal effects potentially as serious as benzos & opioid addictions - those three classes of drugs have become the creeping death of many bodybuilders and should be warned against in our community at every opportunity.

They really have no place in bodybuilding, which should be about physical improvement while reducing the health consequences as best as possible, and not at whatever physical/mental sacrifice it takes to put on more muscle.

• [quote=“juicyfatpowerlifter” pid=‘99370’ dateline=‘1601546062’]
    Modafinil is also very commonly used. I think it is asking for trouble though, given all the other pharmacology Pros are using, wonder how many get strokes n shit. But those last weeks before the show must be really hard, they still train their ass off, they add a shitload of cardio on top of it, they starve themselves and are constantly hungry, no wonder they are using stims and amphetamines to stay on track.

[/quote]
    Having used modafinil (prescribed by my doc since my job is crazy at times) and abusing adderall in college I can say they’re VERY different. I don’t recall the dose of adderall I used but it was always a single tablet (maybe 20mg?) and the effect was much more “stim-craked out” than 200mg of modafinil. I can still sleep on modafinil pretty easily.

• [quote=“Liska” pid=‘99372’ dateline=‘1601551982’]
    [quote=“juicyfatpowerlifter” pid=‘99370’ dateline=‘1601546062’]

[/quote]

Beyond nootropics like Modafinil/Armodafinil and an ECA stack lies a slippery slope into ADHD meds and straight up amphetamines, which come with severe consequences and withdrawal effects potentially as serious as benzos & opioid addictions - those three classes of drugs have become the creeping death of many bodybuilders and should be warned against in our community at every opportunity.

They really have no place in bodybuilding, which should be about physical improvement while reducing the health consequences as best as possible, and not at whatever physical/mental sacrifice it takes to put on more muscle.
    [/quote]

I agree with most of what you said here except comparing withdrawals of amphetamines to be potentionally as severe as benzos. Make no mistake, benzo withdrawal is way worse and has the potentional to kill you.

• [quote=“Fox5610” pid=‘99385’ dateline=‘1601568683’]
    Make no mistake, benzo withdrawal is way worse and has the potentional to kill you.
    [/quote]
    I was thinking about the harshest drugs in each class, which would be meth amphetamine for amphetamines, no?

Before this topic ventures too far out, I hope the least people can take away is to not take these classes of drugs lightly or consider them a valid ‘supplement’ for issues that have cropped up from bodybuilding.

• I’m confused why people on a steroid source forum would be concerned about stimulants… Steroids aren’t exactly protein shakes… I’ve done Ritalin, Adderall, meth for years… Adderall is effective and safe, especially if you practice basic common sense with its use. Don’t take too much if you don’t need to, try to take tolerance breaks, use good magnesium (NOT MAGNESIUM OXIDE) supplements if you’re getting cramps or feel burnt out, and remember that even if you’re starving yourself, you still need a small amount of good fats to support your brain health and overall well-being. And try not to skip sleep even if the drugs tell you otherwise.

The same advice sort of applies to meth as well, but the catch is that following it takes 10x more discipline, and most people, including me don’t have such discipline so tread lightly…

• @Timmyt We don’t condone those things in the bodybuilding sphere. At least here at SST. Do not claim that meth is safe for those with “discipline.”

If you’re using adderal for the gym, then maybe lifting just isn’t for you. If that’s your drive or motivation, focus, etc you need a new hobby.

• @CaptainAmerica But when you say this, are you truly looking at it from an objective point of view? Or are you biased merely because you happen to do steroids, but not stimulants?

A med student could have a completely opposing view, perhaps saying that steroids are not safe, you go bald, high blood pressure, aggression, mood swings, sperm loss, etc etc, and say that meth is just “adderall on steroids” pun intended.

I happen to have ADHD, so stimulants for me aren’t just motivation to go to the gym. They’re motivation to do almost anything, and lifting weights is not fun in itself for me, it’s a means to an end (a great physique) and so I do what I can to keep myself motivated, and I don’t pretend to myself that lifting or crash dieting is fun… OP is talking about contest prep, and I assure you that if you treat contest prep as a hobby, you’re either a superhuman or delusional.

For clarification, I did not say “do all the meths you want, you will be fine”. People who do that end up looking like hillbillies in a few months. But if you keep yourself disciplined, let’s say a 5mg dose once a day in the morning, and follow the advice I mentioned in my other post, and additionally do some research on stimulants so that you are informed on the topic, and not just taking it from a noname person on a online steroid forum, you will probably be okay. The problem is that no one ever stays to the same dose forever, and everyone slips up with their health-maintenance regimen. If you aren’t disciplined, then no, meth is not for you. It’s very addictive.

• Taking a prescription for a medical condition is far different than taking recreational adderal for gym going.

Moving into meth is out of the question. No medical professional would state a safe dosage of methamphetamine when there are equally effective drugs to be prescribed.

Your argument isn’t a valid one. “You will probably be fine” is not a valid statement to make. What does probably mean?

I understand you may be trying to be “objective” but you are on thin ice in this forum talking about anything related to recreational use of things non-AAS related.

I let the topic stand because it approached a different sort of question. You did not approach it that way, instead claiming discipline makes it safe. It doesn’t.

• @CaptainAmerica

I’m not taking sides here but you claim no medical professional will prescribe meth when there are other drugs equally as effective. Well have you heard of Desoxyn 5mg tablets (d-methamphetamine hcl)? Desoxyn has been studied numerous times to show and prove that 5mg meth is safer for the cardiovascular system vs 5mg adderall. Adderall is way more “speedy” and can damage your health faster than Desoxyn (with equal doses). Ex: 100mg adderall is way worse for the heart vs 100mg Desoxyn. This is why you always here about people taking a gram of meth and living while people can’t take a gram of adderall without suffering a heart attack/stroke. NOW I do not agree about using street meth due to the impurities so I personally would not use meth for contest prep unless you can find Desoxyn but good luck on that…I also don’t agree about using adderall especially if you are enhanced because it can complicate your cardiovascular system even more than it already is just from the steroids alone. One last thing, a couple years ago I read a study about how caffeine is worse on the heart vs adderall while adderall is worse on the brain vs caffeine but I know no one will believe this even though studies have been done about it. Just thought I’d add it in. Also we all know clen is worse than caffeine and adderall but people still use clen…

• @localroller said in Amphetamines for contest prep / cutting:

One last thing, a couple years ago I read a study about how caffeine is worse on the heart vs adderall while adderall is worse on the brain vs caffeine but I know no one will believe this even though studies have been done about it. Just thought I’d add it in.

Yea, I’m calling bullshit on this claim unless you provide us a link to that study.

• I can go all day without eating on adderal

However it’s the only thing I’ve ever taken in my life that is addicting to me and has fucked up ny quality of life

• @Liska I agree with this 1000%
    I fell into the trap of thinking narcotics had a place in bodybuilding before, and they don’t. I was just young and stupid lol but It’s gotten to the point that bodybuilders are just doing straight up dangerous shit and it’s irresponsible.
    I get that contest prep is hard but that’s part of it, a lot of us have fallen into the mindset of using substances to make everything easier and it stems from acceptance of PEDs.
    If it’s not gonna directly help build muscle it’s not worth putting into your body. If you can’t prep without narcotics maybe you shouldn’t be competing. As if using large amounts of gear and eating insane amounts of food isn’t unhealthy enough.

• Lol yes they are used and have high utility.
    Silly question.
    Anything that increases energy, motivation, and decreases hunger is a huge tool in the arsenal in a prep.
    A little adderal 20-30mg split over a day.
    20-40mcg clen (any more and anxiety and sleep become too shitty for me).
    Then low dose caffeine in the form of 2-3 diet sodas through a day.
    Equals nearly complete appetite decimation for me and zero desire to nap.

However, I’m sure this comes with consequences when abused or used frequently if competing frequently/yearly as does anything else.

During my last diet (prep) this was the first time I’ve lost significant amounts of weight and my resting hr didn’t drop under mid 80s.
    That can’t be good as my resting hr should have approached the 50s by the end of prep.

But if you can take decent off seasons and not stay hooked on adderal I doubt doing this for 6 to 16 weeks once every 2-3 years is going to ruin you.

• Yeah, they work insanely well for cuts as they suppress appetite and give you artifical motivation and energy. Doesn’t mean you can’t have some serious reprocussions.

• @paulie_rocket though I agree with you entirely there are studies that show amphetamines can be very destructive to our cells. I’ve attached a study done on fruit flies and though they aren’t human, it makes you think that it may not be beneficial for our industry even though it can be very helpful.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-04-fruit-flies-meth-explores-whole-body.html

Conclusion - Our results support our overall hypothesis that METH causes a toxic syndrome that is characterized by the altered carbohydrate metabolism, dysregulation of calcium and iron homeostasis, increased oxidative stress, and disruption of mitochondrial functions.

• I was addicted to Adderrall for like 3 years straight. It gave me confidence, almost unlimited energy, and the motivation to do anything during the “active phase” when I would first eat the pill. After 4-5 hours the effects starts wearing off and I would have to eat another one to keep it up, eventually my tolerance was so high it got to a point where I was eating 3x30mg XRs a day.

If you wanted to get shredded quick Addys were the PERFECT pill to take. It completely destroys your appetite and you can’t stop moving which in turn speeds up your metabolism.

Here’s the fucked up thing about Addys, they are a double edged sword. After a several days of barely any sleep, barely eating, and excessive masturbation you look like complete shit. You feel like garbage and all you want to do is pop another addy so you can feel good again. It was the most destructive thing I’ve ever done in my life and it almost cost me my relationship, my freedom, and my health.

I would stay far away from it as you can. The negatives far outweigh the positives.